Window security is often over-looked by home owners because of the perception of how easy it is to break the glass. The recent trend released from the VPD below shows that forced window and insecure windows are presenting thieves with a more inviting entry to a home. Broken glass creates a greater risk of discovery from noise and a risk of injury from broken glass shards. Unlike the safety glass of an automotive window, the glass often used in home windows doesn’t break in to small harmless pieces. Window bars are more necessary in high crime areas, for commercial properties and when valuables are more vulnerable or windows are more inviting to burglars such as basement windows or windows hidden from view.
Call or Email a Locksmith to discuss a security concern or to set up a time for a consultation.
Sliding windows can be secured with bolts and locking bolts and window bars and with bars and locks that allow the window to still be used as an emergency egress route. Awning and casement style windows can be fitted with hardware to restrict movement for child safety and fall protection. Sliding glass doors can be used as a entry way with a secure entry lock. See our selection of Sliding Door Locks.
- The break-ins are occurring during the daytime.
- Entry is being gained by forcing windows and through insecure windows.
- Items being stolen include laptops, jewellery, and cash.
Theft of Vehicle Contents
downtown, Stanley Park and the West End
- The thefts are occurring between 4:00 pm and 9:00 am.
- Suspects are targeting vehicles parked in open parking lots and underground parkades.
- Items such as electronics, laptops, bags and purses are being stolen.